Monkeys at the beach.

We are in Barwon Heads enjoying the sun and surf. The children get to escape the “helicopter parent” (me) and bike ride, climb trees and walk about on their own.  OK I admit it, I still fret but I leave them to it. When they return it is time to make things and sometimes they put on a play for us. This holidays we are making baby sock monkeys using what else? Baby socks. I will post the end result but meanwhile enjoy these originals.

sock monkeys Sock monkey and the baby socks destined to become his little  brother.

What do you do when you go on holidays with children at the beach? You finish your craft projects of course and start new ones

The children are seen here working on their sock monkeys. How adorable is the pink monkey with red hair? If you want to know more about how to make a sock monkey click here.

The first stop is to Ocean Grove sewing centre. Shop 2, Park Lane, Ocean Grove. Victoria. It is a small shop with a lot to offer. I was directed to this shop by a friend and from someone who lives in inner Melbourne, I was amazed at the variety of goods on offer. Another really interesting thing about this shop is that you can purchase items one at a time and not a bag of 20 when you only wanted 3. Ocean Grove Sewing Centre gets a big gentlestitchetick of approval for this example of sustainability .

The children finished the monkeys.

and then dressed them with items from the Barwon Heads All Saints opp shop before sending them outside to play.

Wow! The view from here is amazing

Then time for a rest.

Time to finish it all off with tea and homemade rock cakes. Yum! Love holidays.

About gentlestitches

The future is in our hands.
This entry was posted in creating and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Monkeys at the beach.

1. Pingback: What can you make with a….polka dot sunfrock? | gentlestitches

2. Thank you for looking at my sock monkeys Bacon. Sock Monkeys make the best friends!
    Sir and Mini need a lady friend! I can help if you have any “making sock monkey” questions. :)

3. PigLove says:

These are awesome!! What a great idea – to make sock monkeys. Sir Sock a Lots and Mini Sir Sock a Lots need friends. I may try to make some :) XOXO – Bacon

4. Thank you. They are a lot of fun.

5. cym136 says:

Love them! They are so cute!

6. Thank you. If your pink socks have pink flower “traction” then you are walking around in a potential pink sock Monkey!!

7. Winter Owls says:

I love the monkeying around in the tree shots and do you know I think I have the same socks as the pink stripey ones!

8. These monkeys are ADORABLE!!! Love them!
    Kenley

9. Pingback: Ninja Pantry Chook. | gentlestitches

10. Pingback: Some Hats are keepers. | gentlestitches

11. THank you Winter Owls. The sock Monkeys were friendly and would have moved over and made room for Owls too!

12. Winter Owls says:

Sock monkeys, I love them! The photo of them swinging in the tree made me laugh out loud. :)

13. Love your sock monkeys! I’ve got four monkeys at my house that might love creating their own sock monkeys to play with!

14. dogfordavid says:

so cute! they did a great job :)

15. anna says:

Oh my goodness they are FABULOUS! I especially love the pictures of them swinging in the trees :)

16. Jenny says:

Gorgeous monkeys. I’ve heard the Barwon Heads oppy is worth a visit

17. Merrin says:

great stuff what wonderful xmas present a monkey kit Merrin from montrose